Interaction Design, User Experience, and User Researcher
Searching for my next big thing
I’m a highly experienced designer who has worked in industries such as telecommunications, consumer electronics, media, Internet, energy, and entertainment. I am experienced with mobile (Android,+iOS), web, and software design. I also have extensive experience in qualitative and quantitative user research. I enjoy working in all phases of design, from conceptual models to release. I have hands on day-to-day experience working with managing design teams.
Summary of experience
2016 – present, Sabbatical/Volunteer
Since leaving Frog, I’ve had the luxury of taking an extended leave of absence from the corporate world to pursue design projects purely for fun, to volunteer, and to enter academic pursuits. I’m hoping to be able to contribute more of my UX skills to causes that are in need of them.
2015 – 2016, Associate Creative Director, at Frog Design
2012 – 2015, Principal/owner Booda Studio, Freelance IXD, UX, and user Researcher
2007 – 2012, Principal Designer at Frog Design
2004 – 2007, Senior Interaction Designer Yahoo! (Media Group)
2003 – 2004, User Experience Designer at Oracle
2000-2003, Senior Information Architect at Saba Software
2016 – present Sabbatical/Volunteer
2015 – 2016 Associate Creative Director, Frog Design
Oversee the daily activities team assigned while assigned to multiple projects.
Cultivate an environment of sustained creativity and professional growth.
Assist the Creative Directors on design direction, team effectiveness, and client relationships.
Provide daily management of the quality and tenor of the office and the digital team’s creative work.
Guide the team in the direction, style, and methodology.
Collect feedback and best-case examples from the team and collaborate with the CDs to drive the potential creative futures of both your team and the broader frog design consultancy.
A ‘timely expert’ towards the creative needs of key clients in order to provide necessary creative insights and project oversight.
Participate in the creative role of new business pitches, proposal development, and project initiation.
Take a creative leadership role in at least one top-tier client.
Oversee the creative output of team.
Monitor and drive an ideal balance in the available skills and personality of the team towards the needs of customers.
Monitor and drive the team to utilize the best and latest methods and tools to be competitive.
Help develop the culture and mindset of the team to ensure they are healthy, happy, inventive, curious, and open.
Mentor the careers of direct reports.
Manage day-to-day operations of design team, including setting priorities, assigning resources, and ensuring project goals are achieved
Oversee simultaneous projects from inception to completion, reviewing project plans, designs, and deliverables
Identify and implement process improvements to meet project and team needs
Participate in recruiting and hiring digital designers
Promote a culture of innovation and teamwork
Establish and nurture good client working relationships
Participate in new business development activities
2012 – 2015 Principal/Owner Booda Studio, Freelance IXD, UX, and User Researcher
Booda Studio is a design and content team formed by husband and me. We work on design projects, as well as content strategy and social media management.
- Responsible for lead generation
- Specialize in UX design, qualitative and quantitative research, conceptual modeling, interaction design, wireframing, information architecture, functional specifications, detailed design documentation, prototyping, workflows, and design management.
- We also work on writing, research, analysis, copyediting and social media management.
- Have both lead teams and worked independently on projects large and small.
- I’ve worked on projects from wearable sports watches to redesign of large websites to enterprise work on collaboration platforms and entertainment devices.
- My ultimate goal is to create beautiful, meaningful things that evoke emotionally impactful responses from consumers, which helps enhance their relationships with our client’s brands.
2007 – 2012 Principal Designer at Frog Design
- Responsible for seeing any design challenge from concept to implementation.
- Adroit at quickly moving from management of work and other designers to execution of design work as needed for projects.
- Responsible for developing conceptual approaches to design problems that meet both client and internal strategic, business, and financial objectives.
- Create presentations of design work at every phase of design for clients in order to convey design and design rationale.
- Deliver design presentations to both internal and external clients.
- Manage and produce the tactical execution and delivery of project artifacts, including qualitative and quantitative research, conceptual frameworks, interaction models, workflows, wireframes, proof-of-concepts, detailed design documentation, and style guides.
- Lead design teams, including interaction designers, visual designers, and prototypers on highly complex large-scale projects, while maintaining the ability to develop a unique conceptual viewpoint.
- Excel at communicating conceptual ideas, design rationale, and detailed design specifications to both internal and external teams using both verbal and visual approaches.
- Ability to speak and write persuasively on design, mobile, and human factors research for internal peer education, projects, and new business development.
- Responsible for promoting and supporting cross-disciplinary methods in the studio.
2004 – 2007 Senior Interaction Designer Yahoo! (Media Group)
- Sole interaction designer for major redesign of Yahoo! Movies Oscar minisite. Responsible for contributing to concepting/ideation, design of site architecture, creation of template wireframes, and creation of functional specs.
- Primary interaction designer on first launch of Yahoo! Food. Responsible for working on initial research (competitive analysis & concepting/ideation), creation of template wireframes, creation of task flows, creation of recipe taxonomy, creation of functional specs, and creation of functional specs used to create editorial tools used to program site.
- Sole interaction designer on many microsites for Yahoo! Movies, Yahoo! TV, and Yahoo! Health. Responsible for contributing to concepting/ideation, creation of template wireframes, creation of task flows, and creation of functional specs.
- Sole interaction designer for phase 1 redesign of Yahoo! Health. Responsible for contributing to concepting/ideation, creation of template wireframes, creation of task flows, participation in RITE testing, and creation of functional specs.
- Lead the phase 2 redesign of Yahoo! Health. Responsible for design project management, creating a new ontology, redesign of all site templates, and aligning visual design of property to Media Group guidelines.
- Lead the concept design of new property in Yahoo! Lifestyles group. Responsible for design project management and research, including persona development, scenarios, competitive analysis, and moodboards.
2003 – 2004 User Experience Designer at Oracle
- Wrote interaction design specifications.
- Contributed use cases, task models, interaction design specs, and prototypes to business and functional requirements documents.
- Created fully interactive working prototypes using HTML, CFML, SQL, and native PS Application Designer.
- Created new stylesheets for PeopleSoft CRM 8.9. Delivered specification to development for runtime changes needed in order to implement new stylesheet.
- Worked on re-design of enterprise search and error handling.
- Redesigned web-based Patch and Upgrade finder application.
- Conducted usability testing:
- Assisted usability engineering in writing test plans, scenarios, and tasks.
- Created working prototypes for testing.
- Logged test sessions.
- Made enhancement recommendations, created test reports, and presented recommendations to project stakeholders.
2000-2003 Senior Information Architect at Saba Software
- Helped lead group interaction with other departments and drove UI enhancements through the product lifecycle.
- Developed and launched first-ever Standards & Guidelines system.
- Re-architected a role-based information architecture that was adopted and implemented in the next- generation product line.
- Translated requirements from Product Management into use cases, task models, wireframes, and interactive prototypes.
- Delivered page templates to development using HTML, CSS, and XSL.
- Conducted customer interviews.
- Conducted user testing of paper and functional prototypes.
- Created task models with UML
- Provided basic project management and workload balancing for design department.
- Conducted skills training on new/emerging technology to peers.
Award and Patents
Sprint One Click – Best New Product, CTIA 2008
Method and system for viewing stacked screen displays using gestures
United States Patent 13/247971 Issued May 3, 2012
United States Patent 13/247801 Issued May 3, 2012
Desktop Reveal By Moving a Logical Display Stack With Gestures
United States Patent 13/247325 Issued June 7, 2012
Recording A Trail Of Webpages
United States Patent 20120210237 Issued August 16, 2012
Your company needs a CCO – The five attributes of a good Chief Creative Officer
Texas CEO Magazine July/August 2015
University of California, Davis, Linguistics
Sierra College, General Education
Bonnie Reese (Worked with Bonnie at Frog Design)
Misty has a keen eye for design and executes efficiently and with high quality. She is great at taking client feedback and executing against it. Misty is also excellent at usability testing. She can quickly recognize where the challenges are within a system and devise design strategies to address them. She is a mature thinker and a joy to work with.
Kate (Burch) Canales (Worked with Kate at Frog Design)
Misty is one of the most detail-oriented, thorough and creative interaction designers I’ve worked with. Her level-head, depth of experience and combination of research and implementation skills became like secret weapons at frog. Clients and colleagues alike hold Misty in high regard. I’d trust her with my most important projects any day.
Mark Rolston (Worked with Mark at Frog Design)
Misty was a fantastic designer. We worked together for many years and often together on the same projects. I particularly remember her innovative design solutions to a vexing two-screen android handset. Both her concepts for interaction and her visual solutions were top notch. You should hire her if given the chance.
Paul Devay (Worked with Paul at Frog Design)
Misty is a no-nonsense designer with a mind for UX. She can talk interaction design at a level that most people can barely comprehend, but she also has the crucial ability to break down complex problems into digestible chunks and talk about them at a human level, which designers so often lack.
Misty’s attention to detail and grasp of complex systems make her a vital addition to any team, and her confidence in understanding these problems makes her a great leader and mentor to more junior designers.
Deanna Brown (Worked with Deanna at Yahoo!)
Misty is a fantastic designer and really is one that knows every aspect of the UX experience. She was essential to the Y! Health redesign team and one that I would recommend for any big complex info driven experience.
Mojdeh Marashi (Worked with Mojdeh at Saba Software)
Misty is a delight to work with. She has a great understanding of design principles, and the ability to pay attention to details while being able to see the big picture. Misty is able to break complex problems into smaller, more understandable, and workable pieces. Her collaborative nature and willingness to help other designers with their projects makes her the favorite of the entire team and one who everyone can rely on. Misty is always eager to take on projects that seem impossible and delivers them on time and with ease. Misty would be a big asset to any team.